Citrus played a prominent role in Mesa's history. Along the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks near Creamery Road (present-day Broadway) sat a packing house for citrus. C.H. McKellips' plant washed and waxed citrus fruit before it shipped across the country. Buiilt in 1934 at a cost of approximately $35,000. A year after McKellips' plant opened the Mesa Citrus Growers Association built a packing plant at Country Club and Broadway. Both plants marketed their products through the California Fruit Growers' Exchange, which is known as Sunkist. The Mesa Citrus Growers plant closed in 2010 and is now a shadow of Mesa's once large and powerful citrus farming.
Supporting the farming endeavor were processing operations, as well as ancillary industries, such as ice manufacturing. Before electric freezers and refrigerators, only ice kept food cold. In Arizona, the extensive heat required farmers to use ice to be successful. An ice plant was was built in Mesa in the 1890s and had rail lines connecting the plant to farmers. This allowed more farmers easy access to ice. 178 local farmers and businessmen came together in the early 1900s. They built the Mesa Dairy & Ice Company in 1903.
As Mesa grew, so to did its cultural infrastructure. On the corner of Morris and Main in Mesa, sat Vance Auditorium. Rancher John T Vance built the entertainment hall in 1908. However, the hall did not become popular until The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) bought the property in 1926 when it became the Mezona. The hall hosted political speeches, concerts, movies, dances, roller derbies, and countless events. Unfortunately, the Mezona closed in 1971 and was eventually demolished.